Thursday, November 6, 2008

HAPPY NOVEMBER



"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."

- George Eliot



Well fall is definitely here in the Ozark mountains. The leaves are changing. Despite all of the rain that we had this year, the leaves were not as brilliant as years past. Even so, this time of year is my favorite and there are a lot of beautiful colors out there.














We have been gathering hickory nuts and persimmons. Kalin and Violet had a fun cracking the nuts open on the porch.




I made persimmon bread and it was great. I used Mama's famous (it really is around these parts, quite a requested item) pumpkin bread recipe, and substituted persimmon puree for the pumpkin. I also added walnuts to the batter. Yummy delicious. I am going to try to crank some out tonight to take home to the fam in Texas.



We leave in tomorrow afternoon for Houston, where we will work the TRF booth and then head to Fort Worth, after the weekend.



We have been harvesting the last of the tender veggies from the garden. It has frosted a few nights. We managed to cover the pepper bed and eek out that harvest a little longer. After much anticipation the multi-color sweet bell peppers that I planted finally started to change color. Wahoo! Unfortunately they will not all have a chance to all turn before the weather turns too cold and that bed is put to sleep. I can't tell you how much joy it brings me to pick and cook with these jewels. I will definitely grow them next year.



I also picked all of the basil and wizzed up some pesto.

We have also been pecking away at our house. We worked all day on Sunday and got a ton of blocks moved on our handy dandy pulley.





You can watch a video of the contraption in action here. It is exciting and really starting to shape up.




Well gotta go, I have a ton to pack. I will see some of you soon. Lots of Love to all!!!!!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Is that Noah?? The house looks great and so do those peppers! I can't wait to see you all!