Saturday, October 3, 2009

FALL PiCKNiCKiNG

"Come said the wind
to the leaves one day,
Come o're the meadows
and we will play.
Put on your dresses
scarlet and gold,
For summer is gone
and the days grow cold."
- A Children's Song of the 1880's




A few days ago Violet came rushing inside saying excitedly "Mama it is fall and you know what we love to do in the fall!" "What?" I say "HAVE PiCNiCS!!!" She replys.

So we packed a lunch; grabbed some field guides, our sketchbooks, and a blanket and headed outside. She scouted ahead and found us the "perfect spot" and we spent the day outside. It was a lot of fun. The weather is crisp and the leaves are beginning to change. I myself love this time of year. It is renewing and energizing!!

One of the wonderful things about homeschooling is that we can take advantage of these opportunities. It felt good to take our work outside. We counted acorns and leaves. Read stories. Violet came up with an elaborate fairy story which I journaled in my notebook. All in all a wonderful day filled with successful learning.

1 comment:

Liz said...

How fun. I wish I was there with you! I love fairy stories and acorns! Come to think of it, one of my co-workers called me a fairy today. :-)