Monday, October 20, 2008

HOCUS POCUS

" Oh fruit loved of boyhood!—the old days recalling,
When wood-grapes were purpling and brown nuts
were falling!When wild, ugly faces we carved in its skin,
Glaring out through the dark with a candle within!"

- John Greenleaf Whittier







Violet and I are in Fort Worth visiting my family. We came down to set up the Hollow Earth Swordworks Shoppe at the Texas Renaissance Festival , which opened last weekend. It opened last weekend. Kalin dropped us off and zoomed back to Arkansas to make more stock.

It is always so lovely to be here in the presence of my family. Violet has really been making connections with them which I cherish.



In the midst of the visit, we did a little spooky pumpkin carving out on my sister's patio. It was great fun. Violet and I read the Plumply, Dumply, Pumpkin, so that she could get some good ideas. I gave her a black jumbo crayon and let her design the Jack-O'Lantern face.






I cut the top off and let her scoop out the insides. She insisted on using her Aunt Lizzie's kitchen spoon because the insides where "ooey, yucky, slimy." I told her "Hey that used to be my favorite part. It is half of the fun." but was not having any of it. Oh well, to each they're own. Right!




Her pumpkin face turned out really good. We were all impressed. Elizabeth carved an awesome scull face on hers



Mel broke out the drill, and made a polka dotted Jack O'Lantern. She definitely gets the award for being most prepared with all of the proper tools. My favorite was the pointy potato peeler thing which was great for shading.

We topped the evening off with Penelope, one of my all time favorite movies.


Great fun girls!!!!!


No comments: